connielingus / *Corrosion of the Week *

Sunday

May 8, 2005


A couple of days ago I received an personal email that had this to say:

Hey Connie
I'm just writing to voice my disappointment at not seeing any new airplane corrosion! What the hell's a guy to do to get a simple, weekly fix of some god damned rust? The bird shit on the fresh paint was nice but it's the corrosion that really works for me. I guess all I can do is sit back and hope you that you come to your senses and respect the fact that you've started something that needs to be maintained.
sincerely,
Paul C.
The International association of Airplane Corrosion Fetishists


Well, I am very sorry I have let association down.... I will try and make it up to you. - This is why today I have a special little bit of corrosion I have been saving for just such an occasion.....

- As you see above, not only do you have to have a good inspection eye to catch this blowout hiding behind a wire bundle, but it also helpful to know how it was caused....
Do you notice how there is a screw holding a wire clamp going into the structure? Well, that screw has caused Galvanic Corrosion, also known as "Dissimilar Metal Corrosion".... You see, The screw is steel and the structure is aluminum, and essentially they are not happy touching each other.... Well the steel doesn't mind, its the aluminum that get all irritated and has a breakdown. The aluminum would do better only being touched by its own kind. So when that is not possible, normal procedure is to stick an aluminum washer between them
........Safe screwing, if you will.

 Posted by Hello

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home